Founded in 1987, Corden Pharma Brussels was a member of the Solvay group until being acquired by CordenPharma group in October 2013. Corden Pharma Brussels has built more than 30 years of track record of success in supplying pharmaceutical and biotech companies with small to commercial-scale cGMP peptide API manufacturing using world-class cost-effective production processes. Through expertise and capabilities in all synthetic manufacturing technologies, Corden Pharma Brussels assesses and customized their manufacturing approach to achieve the most effective manufacturing process for their customers.
Corden Pharma Brussels has developed a portfolio of innovative proprietary technologies with the objective to shorten synthetic processes / reduce the number of steps, control quality, and simplify (or eliminate) HPLC purifications for short peptides.
The Process Development Scientist will be working as part of the Process Development and Scale-up department and manages the chemical laboratory by providing expertise support to the chemical lab assistants and organizing their daily planning.
Under the direction of the Head of Process Development and Scale-Up, continuously strengthen technical awareness and investigate technical issues using applicable process improvement and problem-solving techniques to ensure successful process development and scale-up, daily manufacturing, and projects outcomes.
Manage the daily activies of process laboratory: equipment management, planning and expertise support to the chemical lab assistants.
In collaboration with chemical project leaders: production troubleshooting, manufacturing transfer from laboratory to production, achievement of customer milestones according to timeline and cost
Head of Process Development and Scale up
PDS: Chemical lab assistants, Chemical Project Leaders, Analytical Development and Validation,
Project Manager, Business Development, Production managers and supervisors
Supply Chain, QC, QA, RA
Project team members on customer’s side, Corden marketing and sales team,
research teams at other Corden sites, suppliers, external service providers
Role and Responsibilities
- >> Analyze internal (from others departments) or external (customers) request for existing or new projects, and propose synthesis / precipitation / crystallization / purification / isolation paths of interest product with cost and timeline definition.
- >> Organize the management of material and human resources (chemical lab assistants, chemical project leaders), plan and ensure the execution of tasks on a daily basis
- >> Ensure and organize training for less experienced levels
- >> Transmit and ensure the transmission of knowledge between colleagues
- >> Ensure the adequacy between workloads and human resources (chemical lab assistants and project leaders)
- >> Participate in the assessment and ensure the development of chemical lab assistants and project leaders
- >> Perform and / or ensure the execution of laboratory tests as part of:
- >> Feasibility study, development and optimization of methods for synthesizing peptides and peptide derivatives by LPPS and SPPS – scale from milligram to hundreds of grams – taking into account the criteria of desired yields and purities. The goal is to develop robust and profitable synthesis processes, suitable for transfer to production.
- >> Synthesis of crude peptides for the production of pilot batches
- >> “Troubleshooting” for ongoing productions
- >> If necessary, actively participate in the transfer of processes to production
- >> Perform the necessary analyzes within the framework of the synthesis and isolation of products by the appropriate methods ((U) HPLC, LC / MS mainly)
- >> Know how to interpret, synthesize and report the results obtained in a concise and clear manner, in the form of a report (ideally in English) or power points.
- >> Participate in the drafting of batch records (batch records) of synthesis processes
- >> Write the required protocols / operating modes, the quality procedures or work instructions necessary for the laboratory and checks their implementation
- >> Check the work performed by chemical lab assistants from a quality point of view and / or compliance with the to be followed procedures
- >> Participate in the preparation and monitoring of quality / safety audits
- >> Ensure compliance with safety instructions and ensure optimum safety
- >> Analyze accident / incident situations and propose corrective actions
- >> Establish and approve the safety instructions specific to a given job
- >> Ensure staff training in safety
- >> In case of deviation event, feed the information back to his hierarchy while deciding the necessary measures and establish the solution instructions with the agreement of the hierarchy
- >> Organize and plan the calibration and maintenance of the laboratory equipments in collaboration with the suppliers and associated services (metrology): Titrometer, pH-meter, Rotary Evaporator, Ovens, Cryostat , Synthesis reactors, analytical HPLC, LC / MS, lyophilizers
- >> Take charge of some of the tasks that contribute to the proper functioning, order and maintenance of the laboratory
- >> Ensure compliance with good laboratory practices, safety, order and storage
Key Competencies Required:
Master in organic chemistry or equivalent by experience, Ph.D. is a plus
Professional experience required:
3 years of experience in a similar job, experience in management required
Specific competencies required:
- >> Expertise in organic chemistry
- >> Knowledge in peptide chemistry, experience in SPPS, LPPS and preparative purification required
- >> Experience in analytical HPLC, knowledge in Agilent’s equipment is a plus
- >> Experience in GMP environment and CDMO is a plus
- >> Organized, rigorous and proactive
- >> Customer and results oriented
- >> Team spirit
- >> Good communicator
- >> Stress resistant
- >> Hands-on mentality
- >> Flexibility
- >> Ms Office
- >> Languages: French, English
Interested? Then we should definitely get to know each other. We look forward to receiving your complete application documents: